Foreigners can enter Vietnam by Visa exemption, business visa or tourist visa. These visa grants of entry only allow for a maximum stay of 3 months and after travelling or doing business in a short period time, you may like to extend your Vietnam visa to stay more for business or travelling purposes. Probably you have heard of this term “Vietnam Visa Extension”. Foreigners living or working in Vietnam engage in this service a lot due to the benefits it brings. As a foreigner, would you like to extend your visa right here in Vietnam? Are you wondering what the requirements for visa extension in Vietnam? Let us share with all of you in following article.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR VIETNAM VISA EXTENSION
The foremost thing to prepare for is your passport. It has to be valid for a certain amount of time (depending on your type of visa) at the time you submit to the Immigration Department. Another thing to remind you is that the extension procedure requires someone or legal entity in Vietnam to sponsor you, in other words, to guarantee for your activities while staying in Vietnam. This person can be a Vietnamese citizen having marriage relationships with foreigners or a legal entity company inviting the foreigners to Vietnam for business meeting and working.
Depending on your visa type, nationality, time of submission and so on that the requirements for the visa extension as well as the fee will vary. The introduction to some basic types of visa is below:
Required documents for business/ working visas
Foreigners who are working, doing business and having the sponsor company in Vietnam, obtaining a valid visa and passport marked the visa type of working, business and family visiting are subject to this. But from July 2020, there are a few change for some visas mentioned here. For example, DN visa will transform into DN1 and DN2 visas, LĐ visa to LĐ1 and LĐ2 visa. Yet, the valid term and conditions of them nearly remain unchanged. For the procedure, what you need to prepare are Company’s legal entity documents (including business registration certificate, or certificate of establishment of Representative Office, seal registration), current passport and visa, work permit in Vietnam of your family member or yourself, evidence of family relationship (for TT visa), police certificate of temporary residence and especially extension application form. The maximum period you can extend is up to 12 months for business visa and no more than 2 years for working visa. Also, please note that your passport must be still valid for at least 1 year if applying for working visa extension.
Required documents for tourist, visitor visa
The required dossiers for foreigners who come to Vietnam for the purpose of tourist, relative visitor containing a valid visa and passport marked the visa type of DL, E-visa, VR or visa exemption stamp are less complicated than others. You only need to provide your passport, Vietnam visa or visa exemption stamp and an original certificate of temporary residence in Vietnam. Also, the maximum period for tourist and visitor visa is 3 months.
You must apply extending Vietnam Visa some days before your visa date expires; it’d better before at least 1 week (for 3 months visa, preferably 2 weeks). Because it takes you 7 days to finish submitting your passport and requirement at Vietnam Immigration Department Office, so applying soon may help you active in some ways.
Procedure for foreigners whose passport is lost or stolen
Two most important documents you must obtain as soon as possible are passport lost report certified by the local police of your temporary residence registration in Vietnam and a travel document (passport, travel permit, diplomatic note, etc.) along with confirmation letter from your country’s Embassy or Consulate in Vietnam. Why do you need these two? Because they are required by the Immigration Department when you apply for new visa or visa extension later on. Especially, if you overstay due to the loss of passport, the report and new travel document are even more indispensable. After that, you can apply for visa extension or renewal or an exit visa to leave Vietnam as normal.
YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE EXTENDING VISA IN VIETNAM
Extending visa means that the Vietnam Immigration Department will issue a new visa stamp or visa sticker paper on your passport with new expiry date so that you are able to stay in Vietnam until that day.
With visa extension and visa renewal, you do not need to leave the country, because the visa extension and renewal procedures will be done while you are in Vietnam. Your visa must be extended or renewed from 5 to 7 days before the visa expiration date to make sure that you will not be charged for the penalty fee of overstaying.
Note that the visa extension length depends on the current visa type, nationality, the time of the year and purpose. Only a limited number of nationalities are eligible to apply for the visa extension or renewal in Vietnam, and the requirements change accordingly as well. Therefore, we recommend you to contact directly to our team to check your case.
OTHER IMPORTANT NOTES FOR VIETNAM VISA EXTENSION 2020
With difficult nationalities such as the Middle East, Africa countries excepting South Africa, some Asian countries such as India, China, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka. Visa extensions in Vietnam can be denied for certain reasons, often without disclosing reasons for visa extension refusal, or if the extension is granted, the extension period will be shorter and the processing time is longer than other countries.
- Passport must be valid for more than 6 months from the time of extension (longer validity period is required for long-term visa) and must have at least 2 blank pages;
- Business and working visa extension must have a sponsored company in Vietnam – means that you must give the documents proving the purpose of entry or visa purpose and allow to change the visa type of Vietnam, which is completely legal with the latest immigration law effective July 2020.
- The duration of a visa shall be at least 30 days shorter than that of the passport or international laissez-passer;
- Only a limited number of nationalities are eligible to apply for a visa extension/renewal, and the requirements change accordingly as well. For those countries whose visa extension in Vietnam is limited, or if the visa duration is approved by Vietnam immigration department, however the visa duration is shorter than planned, please contact the visa service provider for advising the best and most suitable solution for your stay in Vietnam;
- The proof of temporary residence in Vietnam certified the local police station is compulsory requirement for all visa extension.
WHERE TO GET VIETNAM VISA EXTENSION?
Here are the contact details of the three major Immigration Departments located in all 3 major regions of Vietnam – North, Center and South:
- In Ho Chi Minh City:
- The Ho Chi Minh City Police Department’s Immigration Office: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
- Ministry of Public Security Department Of Immigration: 254 Nguyen Trai Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- In Da Nang: 7 Tran Quy Cap, Da Nang City
- In Ha Noi: 40A, Hang Bai Street, Hanoi, Vietnam
OTHER ARTICLES OF VIETNAM’S WORK PERMIT, VISA EXTENSION AND RESIDENCE CARD
- New Regulation On Changing Vietnam Visa Type Without Leaving The Country 2020
- Latest Updates On Vietnam Visa Extension and Residence Card 2020
- Vietnam Visa Extension and Renewal Cost 2020
- How To Apply For Vietnam Visa On Arrival
- How To Apply For Visa Extension In Vietnam
- How to apply for Extension of Temporary Residence Card
- Procedures For Lost Vietnam Temporary Residence Card
- Vietnam Temporary Residence Card For Foreigner’s Relative
- Who Can Get Vietnam Temporary Residence Card
- How To Apply Vietnam Visa On Arrival
- How To Extend or Renew Visa In Vietnam
- How To Apply Vietnam’s Visa For Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Iran, Pakistan, Turkey Citizens
For further information please contact:
Discovery Indochina Travel Co., Ltd
5th Floor | Platinum Building | 145 Dien Bien Phu Street, District 1 | Ho Chi Minh City | Vietnam
Tel: 028 39102358 | 028 39102359 Mobile: 0938228856 | 0906640505
Email: Info@visa5s.com or Visa@ditravel.vn
www.visa5s.com | www.ditravel.vn